BIBLE STUDY LESSON 1 BIBLIOLOGY Doctrine of the Scriptures
The Beginning and Final Authority For Man
The Bible is the inerrant (completely true exempt from error) Word of God, Psalms 119:89, 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20,21, Matthew 5:17,18. The Bible is not liable to deceive; it is infallible because of its Author, who is God.
A. The test of scripture is five fold:
- Psalms 119:89, One Author , the other Authors. 2 Peter 3:15,16
- Jesus Christ quotes from all the major sections of the .
- There are no between books
Psalms 119:11: The Bible claims to be God .
The Word of God (the Bible) has stood the test of .
B. There is a number of names given for the Bible, Scripture, the Word, Law, Prophecy, Precepts, Commands, Poetry, Proverbs, Decrees, Testimony, and Statutes of God.( Read Psalms 119 and you can see many of the names used and their description of the truths found in the Bible).
1. Look up the word definition for inerrant in a dictionary. What is the meaning?
2. Does the Bible teach that it is inerrant?
3. The Bible is called the Word of God, and it is eternal, (True or False) Psalms 119:89 "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven"
4. All Scripture is given by of God and is , for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works,
6. Did Scripture come about by the prophet's own interpretation, (Yes, No) ?
7. Matthew 5:17,18 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to . For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one shall in no way pass from the till, all be fulfilled.
8. Can the Bible deceive you for life's answers (yes or no) ?
C. The Bible has 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 books in the New Testament. The Bible is God breathed (inspired) in its totality (Plenary), 2 Timothy 3:16, 17. The original manuscripts were divinely inspired and without error. God has preserved the truths for us today.
1. What does the word plenary mean?
2. Why do you think that God preserved the truths of His Word?
3. Do you believe what the Bible says in? 2 Timothy 3:16, 17, Why?
4. How many books make up the Bible?
D. There was over forty different authors and all were in agreement about their subject. He did this over a sixteen hundred year span and some of these author did not know the other authors, however they all agreed. These men wrote the Bible as the Holy Spirit led them , 2 Peter 1:20,21. God, allowed the writers, to express these truths in their own individuality, and yet they express them in the very words God wanted (verbal), Isaiah 55:11. The Bible is God's supreme rule of faith and practice for man today, which has stood the test of time. It is the beginning and final authority as to man's life for salvation and sanctification; and on the basis of its' claims are all other arguments settled. The Word will be used to judge men at the Great White Throne judgment, John 12:47-49; Revelation 20:11-15.
1. Is the Bible to be interpreted as man so chooses? Why, share with me your answer?
______________________________________________________( 2 Peter 1:20,21)
2. Is the Bible the very words of God? Can you give a passage of scripture to prove your answer?
3. The Bible has stood the test of time. TRUE, FALSE,
E. Revelation is God's communication to man what is unknown or unknowable to him. The Bible is God's primary communication with which all other revelation has to agree. In nature, God reveals Himself, Romans 1:19,20; Psalms 19:1 but full knowledge only comes with the understanding of the Bible. God revealed Himself in Christ Jesus, John 1:1, 14, 2 Timothy 3:16 but the understanding of Jesus Christ is found only in the Bible, John 20:31; Romans 10:17. Also God guides the walk one is to take through life in His Word Psalms119:1-16, 105. The Word of God is a closed book; there is not new truths or revelation being added, Revelation 22:18,19.
1. Why is man without excuse from knowing God, Romans 1:19,20; Psalms 19:1.
Pleaseshare with me your answer.
2. According to John 3:16-21 why, are men condemned?
5. Does the Bible guide those who study it, II Timothy 2:15. YES, NO
6. Is God adding to the Bible today with further revelation? YES, NO
7. The Bible is an open Book and new truths are being given or added? TRUE FALSE Revelation 22:18,19.
F. Illumination is the work of the Holy Spirit enabling one to understand God's Word, I Corinthians 2:11-16; John 16:8-16.
Interpretation is of no private, mystical interpretation, or is it given to anyone for bolstering one's own hobbyhorse doctrine but it is to be interpreted literally unless other Scripture or context dictates differently. The dispensational understanding is needed to understand God's total work of creation and His progressive historical working with men. The Biblical definition of dispensation is 'the dispensing of the household rules of God during a period,' (administration) determined by God' since the world began. When reading and studying the Bible man's interpretation is an attempt to determine the intended meaning of Scripture, Luke 24:27; 2 Peter 1:20; II Timothy 2:15. Therefore, we should keep in mind the Bible as a whole, the purpose of the Book in which the text is found, the context of the passage, the words that are used, the historical setting in which the passage was written and to whom the Book was written.
1. How does God illuminate man to the truths of His Word?
2. Look up the definition of illuminate and write the spiritual definition.
3. Multiple choice: A.) Interpretation is according to every man understanding. or B.) Interpretation is man's attempt to understand and know God by studying the Bible from His perspective?
4. What does dispensation mean?
5. When studying the Bible we should keep in mind, the Bible as a , the of the Book in which the
is , the of the passage, the that are , the in which the passage was and to the Book was .