BIBLE STUDY 3 CHRISTOLOGY Doctrine of Jesus Christ
Is Jesus Christ The Only Way? Who Is He?
Jesus Christ is God, identical in Deity or co-equal with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. He is eternal from eternity past to eternity future and is distinct in personality. He became man willingly but remained God. Jesus Christ was completely man and completely God in His incarnation. He did not possess a sin nature; therefore, He was not able to sin. Jesus Christ willingly died on the cross shedding His blood for the sins of the world. He was the perfect sacrifice once for all to justify those who come to Him by faith. He was buried and rose the third day in bodily form giving eternal victory over the power of darkness. He ascended to heaven to be man's Mediator after giving proof of His resurrection to many living at that time. He is seated at the right hand of the Father as our Great High Priest and will someday come again to receive the believers in eternal Glory through the Rapture and with His second coming He will judge the world for its sins. He will Reward the believer for the quality of life he lived and condemn the unbeliever to the, Lake of Fire.
Find the answers to the following in paragraph above:
1. True, False. Jesus Christ rose the third day in bodily form.
2. True, False. The believer has eternal victory over the power of darkness.
3. True, False. Jesus Christ is God, identical in Deity with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.
4. True, False. Jesus Christ will reward the believer for the quality of life he lives.
5. True, False. Jesus Christ is distinct in personality.
6. True, False. Jesus Christ was not able to sin.
7. True, False. Jesus Christ was completely man and completely God.
8. True, False. The blood atonement is very much included in the promise of salvation.
9. True, False. Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and man.
10.True, False. Jesus Christ is at the right hand of the Father in heaven. We have a living Savior. His pre-existence in eternity or existence before His birth is clearly stated in Scripture. (Micah 5:2; John 1:1-3,14; 17:5; Isaiah 9:6; John 8:58; cf. Exodus 3:14,15) He is the Creator of all (Colossians 1:15-17; John 1:3) and Sustainer (Hebrews 1:3).
1. Micah 5:2 Where was Jesus Christ to be born?
2. John 1:1-3,14, Before Jesus Christ's birth (incarnation) what did he do in relationship to this world.
3. Where was Jesus Christ before the world begun? John 17:5
4. In Isaiah 9:6 what are the names given to Jesus Christ? a. b. ,
c. , d. , e. .
5. Jesus Christ identifies Himself as God by using the Old Testament name for Jehovah God.
What was it? Exodus 3:14,15, cf. John 8:58, .
6. Look up these verses, Colossians 1:15-17, Hebrews 1:3 and identify the Creator and the Sustainer
of all things by name.
The Deity of Christ is clearly seen through the teaching of the Scriptures. It teaches of Jesus Christ's pre-existence, manifestation of His Power, deity through His names, and recorded testimony.
1. Jesus showed deity by the manifestation of His power and attributes.
A. He controlled the elements, diseases, death, etc. Luke 8:22-25; Matthew 12:22,23; Luke 4:33; John 11:43-44.
a. How did Jesus control the elements?
b. How did Jesus control diseases?
c. How did Jesus control death?
d. How can Jesus Christ meet the needs in your life by knowing these facts?
B. Jesus Christ showed omnipresence in Matthew 18:20; 28:20; showed
omniscience in John 16:30; 1:48 and omnipotence in Matthew 28:18; Colossians 1:16.
a. In your own words how did God show omnipresence Present everywhere) in
Matthew 18:20 and Matthew 28:20
b. How does he show omniscience (All Knowing) in John16: 30 and John 1:48?
c. How is omnipotence (All Powerful) showed in Matthew 28:18 and Colossians 1:16?
2. Jesus Christ showed deity through His names.
A. Son of the Living God - Matthew 16:16.
B. Lord - Matthew 22:43-45; Acts 2:36.
C. God - Hebrews 1:8; Philippians 2:6; Matthew 1:22,23.
D. King of Kings & Lord of Lords - Revelation 19:16; I Timothy 6:14,15.
E. Alpha and Omega and Jehovah - Revelation 1:8 Cf. 22:13,16.
F. I Am - Exodus 3:14 Cf. John 8:24;10.
3. Jesus Christ showed deity by recorded testimony of Historical fact.
A. His own - Matthew 4:6-7; 26:63-64; John 4:25-26.
B. John the Baptist - John 1:15,23,30,34.
C. Disciples & Apostles -John 20:28-29; Matthew 16:16;I Corinthians 15:3-8.
D. Angels - Luke 1:35; 2:11.
E. The Father - Matthew 3:16-17; 17:5.
1. Who called Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God? . Matthew 16:16
2. Who called Jesus Lord in Matthew 22:43-45 and in Acts 2:36 ?
3. Jesus Christ has a throne and is call God in Hebrews 1:8. How long will His Throne last?
4. "Jesus who being in the very nature " Philippians 2:6
5. What does the name Immanuel mean Matthew 1:22,23.
6. Revelation 19:16 and I Timothy 6:14-15 says that Jesus Christ is the King of
Kings and the Lord of Lords in what relationship or what event is these two passages speaking about
7. In the following identify the event where Jesus Christ shows Deity:
a. Matthew 4:6,7
b. Matthew 26:63,64
c. John 4:25,26
d. John 1:15,23,30,34 cf. Isaiah 40:3
e. John 20:28,29
f. Matthew 16:16
g. I Corinthians 15:3-8
h. Luke 1:35; 2:11
i. Matthew 3:16,17; 17:5
Jesus Christ was not only God but took upon Himself humanity (Galatians 4:4; Philippians 2:6-11; John 1:1-14; Hebrews 2:14-18). Jesus Christ emptied Himself (Kenosis) to become a servant and taking upon himself the nature of a man (except for the sin nature) and became subject to the limitations of man: He was born, lived as a man, suffered and died (Philippians 2:6-11).
The Kenosis is a part of the mystery of the incarnation; it is unfathomable because of the incomprehensibility of God and the inability of the human mind to conceive adequately. However we know he did because the Word of God tells us he did empty Himself (Philippians 2:7; John 17:5; II Corinthians 8:9). Yet in His incarnation He remained deity (Philippians 2:5,6; John 1:14; 10:17-18; Colossians
2:9). However Jesus Christ subjected his independent exercise of his divine attributes to the Holy Spirit. Jesus lived in obedience to the direction of the Spirit and only exercised deity as directed by the Holy Spirit in his ministry here on earth. (Matthew 4:1; 12:18,28,32; Isaiah 11;1-5; 61:1-3 cf. Luke 4:1,14,17-19).
1. Look up the word Kenosis in the dictionary
2. Define unfathomable
3. Define incomprehensibility
4. Jesus Christ was not only God but also man. Why did he become as man according
to Hebrews 2:14-18?
5. According to II Corinthians 8:9 why did Jesus become man?
6. Jesus Christ lived in obedience to the direction of the and exercised
deity as directed.
Matthew 4:1; 12:28,32.
His Hypostatic Union or two natures in one person is shown by the two realms
of consciousness (John 3:13; 8:58; 14:9-11), thought (Luke 2:49,51-52), desire (Luke
John 17:24,25) and life (John 5:26, John 10:17,18,30).
A. He was born of a virgin woman (Matthew 1:18; Luke 2:7; Galatians 4:4),
which was predicted (Isaiah 7:14).
B. He took a body of flesh (John 1:14; I John 4:2) which functions in the same way as our bodies; He became tired (John 4:6), hungry (Matthew 4:2), thirsty
(John 19:28), and suffered (I Peter 2:21; 4:1; 5:1), and died (Luke 23:46; Matthew 27:50).
C. He had a soul and a spirit (Matthew 26:38; Matthew 27:50; Mark 2:8; Luke 1:80).
D. He called Himself a man (John 8:40,41).
E. He was tempted as a man (Matthew 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13) but had no sin (II Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 4:15)
1. Jesus Christ was unique in that he had two natures. We see his two natures by his
consciousness, thought, desire and life. Identify the following ways this is shown:
a. Consciousness: John 3:13
b. Thought Luke 2:49, 51,52
c. Desire Luke 22:41,42
d. Life John 5:26
The Impeccability of Christ is shown by no sin committed; because Jesus
Christ was not able to commit sin (James 1:13). The Lord Jesus was sinless and
holy (Hebrews 4:15, John 8:46; I Peter 1:19; II Corinthians 5:21: Luke 1:35, Acts
2:27; 3:14; 4:27)
The resurrection of Jesus Christ must be accepted for one to be saved for eternity, (Romans 10:9-10; 8:11; I Corinthians 15:1-8,12-19). The historical facts, even before it happened and after, is recorded in the Bible along with eyewitnesses
(I Corinthians 15:4-8).
A. The resurrection was prophesied in the Old Testament (Psalms 16:10;
Psalms 22; Isaiah 53). And Jesus said that He would raise Himself from the dead (John 2:19,21; Matthew 17:9).
B. His resurrection was accomplished the third day after the crucifixion. (Matthew 17:23)
C. His resurrection was bodily (Matthew 28:1-6; Luke 24:1-3; Acts 2:31), He ate after, His resurrection (Luke 24:30. Jesus Christ had flesh and bones after the resurrection (Luke 24:39).
After the resurrection Jesus Christ ascended to heaven (John 6:62, cf. Luke 24:51; Acts 1:9; Ephesians 4:10) and is preparing a place for us (John 14:2,3). He
sent the Holy Spirit to represent Him as a comforter and counselor, (John 16:5-16).Jesus Christ is our Intercessor (Hebrews 7:25) and our Advocate (I John 2:1).
Jesus Christ is our Prophet (Hebrews 1:1-2; John 4:19,44; Acts 7:37,38), Priest
(Hebrews 4:14,15; 5:6-10; 7:3), and King (Psalms 24; John 18:36; I Timothy 1:16,17;6:15,16). He is the Mediator
between God and man (I Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 9:15). Someday He will be the Judge of all men (Matthew 12:36;
Galatians 6:7; Ephesians
6:8; Colossians 3:24,25; I Corinthians 4:5; II Timothy 4:8; Revelation 22:12), believers for the quality of works at the Bema Seat judgment (Romans 14:10-12; II Corinthians 5:10 I Corinthians 3:10-15) and unbelievers in punitive condemnation at the Great White Throne judgment (Revelation 20:11-15).
1. Look up impeccable in the dictionary and write the definition.
After reading the above answer the following question.
a. What has to be believed by a person to be saved for eternity? Romans 10:9,10; 8:11; I Corinthians 15:1-8,12-19
b. (True or False). It is a historical fact that Jesus Christ was resurrected and there was eye witnesses.
c. What is Jesus Christ doing in Heaven for you?
I John 2:1
I Timothy 2:5, Hebrews 9:15
D. Jesus Christ will some day be your judge which two judgments will He judge men at?
Romans 14:10, I Corinthians 3: 10-15
E. What does it mean Jesus Christ is Prophet,
Before leaving this follow-up page you may want to print it now and review it often. Print
It is recommended for all to further their Biblical study and understand to purchase the following books!! The Essential Criteria of Dispensational Theology for the Professional and Layperson (Hard or soft cover). Where Is God? Lexie Discovers God's Plan to Save the World (Soft cover only see video).
World Wide Outreach Ministry Inc.
By: Theodore D Pestor/ President/Pastor BTH