The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit and His Power. The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Godhead. He was active in creation along with the Father and Son. He is co-equal and co-eternal with God the Father and God the Son. The Holy Spirit is omnipresent from eternity; He indwells believers in a special way since the day of Pentecost, which is permanent until the day of redemption. He is the Author of Scripture, the One Who enables believers to understand and He enables believers to live lives pleasing to the Lord. He seals, baptizes, guides, fills, teaches and sanctifies, helping believers in their lives. He convicts of sin, righteousness and judgment. He regenerates all believers. He gives gifts to men in order to edify the body of Christ to mature believers in Christ. There were certain gifts, which passed away with the completion of the canon of Scripture: tongues, miracles used as signs, prophets and apostles. His work is to glorify Christ and not Himself (John 15:26).
I. The Holy Spirit is a Person and the features of His personality show it. He has Intellect (I Corinthians 2:10-11; Romans 8:27), Emotion (Ephesians 4:30) and Will (I Corinthians 12:11).
A. Aspects relating to His name which show personality.
1. The Holy Spirit called God in Acts 5:3, 4.
2. The identity of Holy Spirit, called the Spirit of Jehovah, Isaiah 11:2 cf. John 1:23.
3. He is the Comforter or Counselor (Paraclete). (John 14:26; 15:26)
4. He is associated with other Persons: The Father (Matthew 28:19), and Son (John 16:13,14 cf. 17:4).
B. His acts are acts of personality.
1. He speaks (Acts 13:1-4; John 16:13; Acts 1:16; 2 Peter 1:21).
2. He teaches and brings to remembrance (John 14:26).
3. He testifies (John 15:26).
4. He convicts of sin (John 16:8).
5. He intercedes (Romans 8:26).
6. He sends forth (Acts 13:4).
7. He performs actions (I Corinthians 12:13).
C. Personality is shown by being able to quench or grieve the Holy Spirit (I Thessalonians 5:19; Ephesians 4:30)
1. John 16:12-16 says the Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but speak of ____________________ John 15:26.
2. I Corinthians 2:10, 11 says that the Holy Spirit knows the thoughts of who? _____________ and that He
reveals them to ________________.
3. What emotion does the Spirit express when we sin? Ephesians 4:30 ____________________
4. What three areas does the Holy Spirit comfort or counsel? John 14:26; 15:26
1. ___________________ 2. _______________ 3. _______________.
5. What acts did (or does) the Holy Spirit perform in the following passages?
a. Acts 13:1- 4 ____________________________________
b. John 16:13 ______________________________________
c. John 14:26 _______________________________________
d. John 15:26 _______________________________________
e. John 16:8 ________________________________________
f. Romans 8:26 _____________________________________
g. I Corinthians 12:13 _________________________________
II. The Holy Spirit is God (Deity) Acts 5:3 c. 4.
A. His Characteristics are Deity.
1. The Holy Spirit is ____________ (Hebrews 9:14)
2. Omnipresent (Psalms 139:7-10), What does it mean to be Omnipresent? __________________________
3. Omniscient (I Corinthians 2:10-11), What does it mean to be Omniscient? __________________________
4. Omnipotent (Genesis 1:2, Luke 1:35), What does it mean to be Omnipotent? __________________________
5. Is the Holy Spirit Moral in His actions, Yes or NO (Galatians 5:22).
B. His Works are Deity.
1. Creation (Genesis 1:2) Sustaining (Psalms 104:10-14, 30). Is He God? Yes or No
2. Raised Christ from dead (Romans 8:11, I Peter 3:18). Who raised Christ from the dead? ____________
3. Inspiring Scripture (2 Peter 1:21), Who did God the Holy Spirit use to bring us His Word the Bible?
_________________. Did man write his own words or did the Holy Spirit use man's personality to write
God's word? (Underline answer)
4. Gives life (John 6:63; Romans 8:2), How does the Holy Spirit give believers life? _________________
5. Regeneration (John 3:8; Titus 3:5). What does it mean to be regenerated? ______________________
6. Seals (Ephesians 1:13), who sealed the Believer? ___________ and with the seal of _______________.
1. Answer the following with True or False by circling the correct answer.
a. In I Thessalonians 5:19 the Bible says a person can quench or grieve the Holy Spirit. True or False
b. Acts 5:3, 4 says the Holy Spirit is God. True or False
c. Psalms 139:7-10 says God is everywhere. True or False
d. Hebrews 9:14-says, God the Holy Spirit is eternal. True or False
e. I Corinthians 2:10,11-shows that The Spirit is all knowing. True or False
f. Is the Holy Spirit all-powerful Luke 1:35, Genesis 1:2? True or False
2. What works did the Holy Spirit do in the following passages?
a. Genesis 1:2 __________________________________________
b. Ephesians 1:2 cf. Romans 8:11, I Peter 3:18 ___________________________________________
3. How did the Holy Spirit write the Bible? II Peter 1:20, _________________________________________________
4. Who gives you life? John 6:63; Romans 8:2, _________________________________________________________
5. How long are you sealed with the Holy Spirit after you receive Christ Jesus? Ephesians 1:13, 14, _____________
6. Who gave you life when you received Jesus Christ as savior? John 3:8, Titus 3:5, __________________________
7. In Ephesians 1:13 God says that He did something to you when you received Jesus as savior, what was that?
III. The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
A. He strove (execute judgment, or plead against difficulties) or contended with men (Genesis 6:3).
B. The Holy Spirit would indwell men (Genesis 41:38, Numbers. 27:18) but not necessarily stay (Numbers 11:16;
Judges 3:10; I Samuel 10:10; 11:6; 19:23)
C. The coming on men was to enable them for a special task (Exodus 28:3; 31:3; 35:31).
D. Prayer was made to keep the Holy Spirit from departing. (Psalms 51:11).
1. The Holy Spirit in the New Testament
a. The Holy Spirit Anointed Jesus Christ (Luke 3:21, 22; 4:18),
b. Fills His life for the work. (Luke 1:15; Acts 1:1-2),
2. The Holy Spirit and the church dispensation.
a. Baptizes into the Body of Christ (I Corinthians 12:13),
b. Implemented the New Covenant at Pentecost (Acts 2), and applied or completed the Redemptive Covenant,
applying it to all dispensations.
c. Gives Gifts to the church (Ephesians 4:11,12).
3. The Holy Spirit's Ministry before salvation. He disturbs, directs, and draws men to salvation.
a. Convicts of sin (John 16:7-11),
b. Calls to salvation (John 3:6; 6:63; 16:12-16),
c. Persuades sinners to come to Christ, (Revelation 22:17).
d. Points to Jesus Christ and promotes Him (John 16:14; 3:14, 12:32)
4. The Holy Spirit's Ministry at the Moment of salvation.
a. Gives gifts (I Peter 4:10; I Corinthians 12; Romans 12; II Timothy 1:6, 7),
b. Seals (John 6:27 c. Luke 3:21,22; 4:18; II Corinthians 1:21,22; Ephesians 1:13,14; 4:30),
c. Permanently indwells believers (Romans 8:9; John 14:16 I Corinthians 6:19; Ephesians 4:30),
d. Gives assurance (Romans 8:16),
e. Gives freedom from bondage of sin (Romans 8:2,12,13; Galatians 5:16-26),
f. Sanctifies the believer (II Thessalonians 2:13; I Peter 1:2).
g. Illuminates, enables you to discern spiritual truths. (I Corinthians 2:9-14)
5. The Holy Spirit's Ministry after salvation.
a. Teaches and comforts (I Corinthians 2:13, John 14:26),
b. Guides (Acts 8:27-29; John 14:12-15; Romans 8:14),
c. Gives the power to perform the gift He gave (I Corinthians 12:3, 7)
d. Gives power to prayer (Romans 8:26,27; Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20).
e. Gives freedom from our old nature so we can be a servant to God, (Romans 6:11-19 cf. Galatians 5:16).
f. He produces good fruit in our lives (Galatians 5:22, 23)
g. He prepares the believer for soul winning (Acts 1:8)
h. The Holy Spirit fills the believer (Ephesians 5:18).
6. Compare the work of the Holy Spirit in these verses from the Old Testament and the New Testament and write down the differences of His work before the cross and after. Numbers 27:18, I Samuel 10:10; 11:6; 19:23, Psalm 51:11 compare with Romans 8:9; John 14:16; I Corinthians 6:19; Ephesians 1:13,14; 4:30
a. After reading the above verses do you have to pray and ask God not to take the Holy Spirit from you.
YES. NO Why? _________________________________________________________________________
b. When you do not know how to pray with an aching heart what does God say that the Holy Spirit does for you?
Romans 8:26, 27 ________________________________________________________________________
c. Who baptized you into the Body of Christ? I Corinthians 12:13
d. The Holy Spirit gave you something at salvation, what was it? _____________________ Romans 12:3-8, Ephesians 4:7;
II Timothy 1:6,7 II Corinthians 12.
7. It is the Holy Spirit that illuminates and enables you to understand. (Write down any observations, which mean a lot to you.)
I Corinthians 2:6-16 _______________________________________________________________________________
8. What does the Holy Spirit do for us in soul winning, Acts 4:32? ____________________________________________
9. What manifestations of the Holy Spirit are produced in the believer life?
A. Ephesians 5:19_________________________________________
B. Ephesians 5:20 _________________________________________
C. Ephesians 5:21a ______________________, 5:21b, ____________
D. Galatians 6:10, 11_______________________________________
E. Galatians 5:22, 23, __________________________________________________________________________
F. James 3:13-17_______________________________________________________________________________
10. What are we to do to be filled with the Holy Spirit? Ephesians 5:18, I John. 1:9, Romans 6:1; 12; 1, 2, I Corinthians 15:31, Galatians 2:20, and Luke. 11:9.
Before leaving this follow-up page you may want to print it now and review it often. Print
It is recommended for all to further their Biblical study and understand to purchase the following books!! The Essential Criteria of Dispensational Theology for the Professional and Layperson (Hard or soft cover). Where Is God? Lexie Discovers God's Plan to Save the World (Soft cover only see video).
World Wide Outreach Ministry Inc.
By: Theodore D Pestor/ President/Pastor BTH