What is Sin, Its Effects and Where did It Come From?
Sin originated with Lucifer when he acted with pride in rebellion against God
in heaven (Isaiah 14:12-17, Ezekiel 28:11-19). Sin entered earth when Adam willfully disobeyed God by eating of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil. (Genesis 3:6; 1 Timothy 2:14) Since all men were in Adam, all became guilty (Genesis 4:6-26; Romans 5:12). Sin corrupted man so that he is totally depraved that nothing of himself or in himself would commend him to God (Romans 3:23). Death is the result of sin and I believe that all are born sinners, dead in transgression and sin (Ephesians 2:1). Because of sin, Satan was cursed and man separated from God and from the benefits, which God desired for man.
THE NATURE AND EFFECTS OF SIN
1. Sin is failure to be or act in accordance with God's character and affected the entire human race. (Ecclesiastes 7:20)
2. Sin is missing the mark (Romans 3:23).
3. Sin is lawlessness or transgression (1 John 3:4).
4. Sin caused man to die spiritually to God and lose fellowship with Him
(Ephesians 2:1; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; John 5:24; 1 John 1:5-7; Genesis 3:8,23).Numbers. 16:29; 1 Corinthians 15:21)
5. Sin causes the body to die (1 Corinthians 11:27-32; Romans 6:23;
6. Sin has three sources:
a. The World (1 John 2:15-17),
b. The Flesh (Galatians 5:16-21),
c. The Devil (Ephesians 6:11-17).
7. Sin causes eternal death and suffering (Revelation 20:14; Matthew 25:41; 2 Thessalonians 1:9; Jude 7)
8. Sin extended into the heavenly (Ephesians 6:11-12).
9. Sin affected vegetation kingdom (Genesis 3:17-18), and animal kingdom
(Genesis 9:1-3 cf. Isaiah 11:6-9; Romans 8:20-21).
10. Satan cursed (Genesis 3:15; Hebrews 2:14).
11. Serpent cursed (Genesis 3:14).
12. Sorrow to women (Genesis 3:16).
13. Ground cursed (Genesis 3:17).
14. Hard labor to stay alive (Genesis 3:19).
15. Good and evil known by man (Genesis 2:17).
16. Sin nature (Romans 6:6; Ephesians 4:22; Colossians 3:9).
17. Man is totally depraved:
a. Nothing within man to commend him (Romans 3:10-18),
b. Affected intellect (1 Corinthians 2:14; 2 Corinthians 4:4; 2 Timothy 3:8; Proverbs 14:12),
c. Will effected (Romans 3:10-18; Romans 12:2),
d. Emotions (John 3:20; 1 John 3:15; Romans 7:8,15; Zephaniah 3:5b),
e. Conscience (1 Timothy 4:2; Titus 1:15; Hebrews 9:14; 10:22)
Answer The Following Question
1. Other than Jesus Christ, has there or will there be any man that will be righteous or sinless on his own merit of goodness, Yes or NO) Ecclesiastes 7:20.
2. Romans 3:23 are you included in the "all" of the verse? (YES, NO)
3. 1 John 3:4 Sin is defined as one who breaks the and is .
4. Before one comes to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ Ephesians 2:1 says a person is
5. 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1 has a series of question asked. Answer those questions, in verse 14 there are two questions, in verse 15 there is two and in verse 16 there is one:
a. V. 14 1. , 2. .
b. V. 15 1. , 2. .
c. V. 16
6. In 2 Corinthians 7:1 God tells us to be holy in and
7. John 5:23,24, how does one cross over from death to life?
8. Sin causes lose of with God. 1 John 1:5-7.
9. Man lost with God back in the Garden of Eden. Genesis 3:8,23.
10. What causes the body to die ? 1 Corinthians 11:27-32, Romans 6:23
11. One of the sources of sin for man is the world, in your own word after reading 1 John 2:15-17 what does this passage say about it?
12. List the sins of the flesh given in Galatians 5:16-21.
13. We have other struggles with sin caused by and we are to take the of
God to fight against this source. Ephesians 6:11-17.
14. All who are not written in the Book of Life will spend eternity in of , Revelation 20:14,15.
15. Besides those whom refuse to do what God wants them to do, who will be in this eternal fire?
and Matthew 25:41.
16. In eternity those who go to hell will be separated from 2 Thessalonians 1:9.
17. Jude 7 say those who go to the lake of Fire will experience eternal suffering therefore death must mean other than annihilation. Have you received Jesus Christ as your savior, He died to pay for your sin so you do not have to go to the Lake of fire. Have you received Jesus Christ as Savior? (YES, NO) (Matthew 13:42,50, Revelation 20:10).
18. All sin is forgiven when one receives as ones savior. Matthew 1:21, Romans 6:23, John 1:12; 14:6, 1 John 5:9-13.
19. We today are in warfare because of sin and that the effects of sin are even in the heavenly realms. What are the forces in the heavenly realms do we war against? Ephesians 6:11,12
20. In Genesis 3:17,18 the vegetation kingdom was effected by sin, how was it effected?
21 Genesis 9:1-3 say man could eat animals. Why do you think that man could eat meat after the fall?
22. When sin is finally judged animals will no longer be used for food by any beast, why is this so according to Isaiah 11: 6-9?
23. Because of sin, death came on the animal kingdom but after sin is judged this cruse will be lifted. When did and does this occur according to Romans 8:20,21?
24. According to Revelation 12:9 Satin is call the serpent. He was the one in the Garden of Eden, who deceived Eve. God cursed Satin because of this sin. What does Genesis 3:14, 15 say will happen to Satin after the misdeeds of his striking the heal of the woman's offspring who is Christ and the cross?
(This is the first promise in the Bible that God would destroy Satin and his works through His offspring who was Jesus Christ.)
25. Satin used the serpent to manifest himself to Eve in Genesis 3:13, what was the cures put on the snake?
26. What was the curse on the ground because of sin? Genesis 3:17,18
27. Why was man cursed by hard labor according to Genesis 3:17-19?
28. Man came to know good and evil by disobedience to God and lacking in the trust in God. (Genesis 2:17) Who told Eve that Adam and her would be like God? .(Genesis 3:5). Can any one be like God unless they are God? YES, NO. Are there any other God but one? YES, NO. Who is the author of the lie that there are other gods besides the one true God?
29. What happens to a persons old self when they come to know Jesus Christ as savior? . This renders the sin nature powerless because of Jesus Christ. Romans 6:6
30. However we find that even though the old self is crucified with Christ at salvation we still have problems with it and are commanded in Ephesians 4:22 KJV "to put your old self".
31. If one has put off the old self with it practices will he lie? YES, or NO
32. Look up the word depraved in the dictionary and write the definition:
33. Man is totally depraved there is nothing within man to commend him to God, Romans 3: 10-18 this is why we need a savior. List the ways a man is depraved:
Verse 17 _______________________________
34. "The man without the Spirit of God does not the Spirit of God, 1 Corinthians 2:14. That's why salvation is more than intellect and it takes the Holy Spirit to illuminate man's understanding.
37. The way men try to get to God leads to . Proverbs 14:12
38. Romans 12:2 tell us to have our wills conform to God. why?
39. Emotions can lead a person wrong. why? John 3:2
41. Emotion can really disturb us because when we want to do right and we do wrong we feel like failures, Why?
42. Why doesn't a person feel shame for sin? Zephaniah 3:5b
43. Is a person's conscience affected because of sin to make him totally depraved? YES, or NO . How is it affected?
1 Timothy 4:2
44. When a person is an unbeliever the things of God do not seem pure to him. Why?
45. What cleanse ones conscience of the guilt of sin?
46. Because we are sinner totally depraved Jesus Christ came into the world to provide you salvation. Have you asked Jesus Christ to be your savior? YES, or NO. If not would you right now? YES, or NO. Would you let the teacher of the class know? Yes, or NO.
Before leaving this follow-up page you may want to print it now and review it often. Print
World Wide Outreach Ministry Inc.
By: Theodore D Pestor/ President/Pastor BTH